Bethany's middle school prides itself on its uniquely intimate and safe environment that is unrivaled at other institutions. At Bethany, every child is individually known and shepherded. Building on the solid academic foundation of the elementary years, students are introduced to a small corps of subject-area specialist teachers dedicated to preparing our graduates for the area's most competitive high schools.
Our language arts program emphasizes the development of reading, writing and critical thinking skills. Various forms of literature (e.g. novels and poetry) are explored via literature circles and individual reports, and our students are instructed in the art of writing a research paper. Bethany offers both grade-level and advanced math courses for every middle school grade, including the option of taking Algebra I and Geometry for high school credit. In social studies classes, students learn the important lessons and implications of world history, American history, and civics. In our science classes, they will enjoy an inquiry-based, hands-on approach to learning about our world in science class. In 8th grade, Spanish I is also offered, which gives students the opportunity to earn high school credit and to begin Spanish II in 9th grade.
Each year, Bethany's graduates are accepted to the high schools of their choice, including American Heritage, Calvary Christian Academy, Cardinal Gibbons, Pine Crest, St. Thomas Aquinas, University School, Westminster Academy, and prestigious magnet programs in our area's public high schools.
Bethany utilizes a wide range of secular and Christian curriculum for its students' needs, including such well-known names as Harcourt-Brace, Houghton Mifflin, McGraw-Hill, Scott Foresman, the Institute for Excellence in Writing, and Glencoe. Textbooks and materials for every subject are reviewed in 5-year cycles, with a different subject reviewed every year to ensure a systematic acquisition of the most up-to-date curriculum available. Guidance for BCS benchmarks and standards is derived by comparisons with other schools and from Florida's Sunshine State standards.
Below are highlights from Bethany's middle school academic program:
- Grade 6 focuses on Life, Physical Earth, and The Human Body
- Grade 7 focuses on Earth Science
- Grade 8 focuses on Physical Science
All science classes engage in hands-on science labs, the teaching of scientific thinking and processes, science fair projects, and local field trips.
- Precision Model Mathematics
- Differentiated Learning helps students comprehend and assimilate problematic information.
- Grade levels progress through the Number System, Algebra, and Statistics and Probability
- Advanced classes offered at every middle school grade level, including Algebra I for 8th grade
- Interscholastic Math Competitions
- Composition, including the writing process, descriptive writing, narrative writing, expository writing, and persuasive writing
- Grammar, usage, and mechanics, including parts of speech, clauses and complex sentences, subject-verb agreement, diagramming, capitalization, and punctuation
- Analysis of novels, short stories, plays, and poetry
- Resources and skills, including library and reference resources, vocabulary and spelling, test-taking, listening and speaking, and electronic sources
- Interscholastic Creative Writing Competition
- Grade 6 focuses on ancient civilizations
- Grade 7 focuses on U.S. History
- Grade 8 focuses on Civics
- Seeing how the gospel is the central theme of the entire Bible
- Finding identity and security in the unshakable love of Christ
- Understanding the wisdom of God and how to apply that wisdom to our daily lives and decision-making abilities
- Character development, including the study of traits such as love, humility, courage, faith, integrity, and leadership
- Exploring men and women of faith in the Bible with the aim of incorporating biblical principles into modern life
Middle school students get to choose from a wide range of electives. Elective offerings may vary from year to year according to student interest and instructor talents, but the following courses are offered during this school year:
- Beginners' Spanish
- Beginners' French
- Brain Games (STEM)
- Creative Works
- Critical Thinking & Study Skills
- Drama / Improv
- Graphic Design I & II
- Health and Fitness
- Honors Choir
- Intensive Studies
- Performing Arts (drama)
- Spanish I (H.S. credit)
- Speech & Debate
- Theater Craft
- Visual Arts
Extracurricular activities available to middle school students include competitive sports teams, chess club, private strings and piano instruction, and musical theater. Bethany's middle school also has a Student Council and National Junior Honor Society.
Middle School Teachers